Once upon a time I posted on my https://pearwood.deviantArt.com account a note about how to leave a good comment. I wrote it for photographs, paintings, drawings and other such visual art. It is just as germane to the essays and poems folk post here on WordPress.
The photograph is one I took years ago of Fella, the deviantArt mascot, back in the days when dA carried branded merchandise.
One could write another essay on how to receive a comment on one’s artwork. Other than saying, “be gracious and non-defensive”, I’ll leave that for another person or time.
Steve’s suggestions on how to leave a good comment…
- Tell the artist what caught your eye, something your particularly liked or didn’t like.
- Tell the artist something you think they could have done differently or better.
- Suggest an alternate title; it tells the artist what you saw in the image.
- Interact with the artwork, continue its story.
- Ask the artist how or why they did something.
- If nothing else, even “Ooh, pretty!” or “Oh, ick!” is a lot more information than no comment at all.