I am a photographer, writer, walker, and sometime paddler, a theologically-educated geek. Once upon a time I was an Army helicopter jockey.
With major back surgery in August 2019 and bunion repair in January 2020 now behind me, I am gearing up to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail in 2021 to celebrate my seventy-first birthday.
- Flood pumpThe Lake Ontario and Irondequoit Bay water levels are high, but nearly as high as it has been. Hopefully the pump can sit idle this season.
- Neighborly lightAs is my practice, I saved the last frame for home. The afternoon light was bouncing off something bright on the other side of the neighbor’s fence. I decided to try to capture it.
- Marge’s Lakeside InnMarge’s is a popular watering hole, especially in the summertime when her guests like to walk around the beach in their bare feet.
- I am a racistI am a racist. Racism is deeply embedded in the white psyche. I have been a privileged white male for nearly seventy years. But I know better.
- Once a roadI walked down to the Irondequoit Bay outlet a few days ago. For part of the way I walked along the bluff with its old road markers. There were flowers everywhere.
- Overlapped FramesIt is remarkably easy to find the Weltur film advance knob when reaching for the focus knob. There is, unfortunately, no way to wind the film back outside of a black bag.
- RememberingIt was a single-ship mission, ferrying an Army photographer around the Ft. Richardson, Alaska operations area. A week later there appeared in flight operations an envelope from the photographer with pictures he had taken, unbeknownst to us, of each crew member.
- A Tulip for the AscensionThe last frame on the roll of sixteen is a photograph of a solitary tulip in front of our house. It seemed an appropriate post for today, not so much for the direct symbolism as for the questions it raises.
- Still watersTook the Welta Weltur out last week for the first time in nearly four years. It was a dreary sort of afternoon in Durand Eastman Park, but still lovely.
- It seemed like a good idea at the timeThis was a test roll to see how the old camera was doing and how it responded to different lighting situations. I took several photographs of this tree from the various sides and got rather different photographs.